Return to Compete

Mechanisms, risk factors, rehabilitation etc.
davemckay16

Return to Compete

Postby davemckay16 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Would anyone be interested in sharing what they look for from an athlete in a return to competition phase?

I am interesting in what criteria people have apart from overall volume and load (A:C)
For example >95% max speed (and how many times), deceleration speed, acceleration mechanics, # of days training before being fully or partially integrated with the team or # of full training sessions before being available to play in a competitive game.

The scenario is quite broad but assume the athlete has been cleared by the medical staff and is now with the performance staff for X amount of time.

All input welcome,
Thanks
Dave

Blanny20

Re: Return to Compete

Postby Blanny20 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Dave,

I work on a variety of criteria, which will change depending on the individual, the injury and the environment.

Broadly speaking though, I would look to return a player to a minimum of baseline objective measures - this is why I think "screening" (another debate altogether) needs to be repeated through the season - try and reach the baseline measures of the last pre-injury screening results (these tests need to be sport and position specific for this reason). Ideally, you improve these scores and don't settle for pre-injury baselines, use the opportunity of injury to increase "robustness"
If available, I would look that individuals GPS data - what is his max speed, max distance, max no. of sprints, runs, jogs etc. I would use averages to get an idea of what we are working towards but if there is an outlier game for example where he far exceeded those averages, that means it is a possible demand for them so needs to be considered in the rehab. I have conflicting ideas, both of which seem valid to me, but I would always build up the ability to decelerate before working on acceleration. You don't put your foot down on a ferrari around a country bend without knowing the brakes work. More specifically, during full speed running you must have the eccentric deceleration of hamstrings to control the forward translation of the tibia, for example.
The mechanism of injury should always be recreated in a controlled environment - that may be contact, landing etc but could be fatigue endured injury like a non-contact strain - so it may be that high speed running in a fatigued state needs to be included.
I have no science to back this up, but I have previously worked on a rule that for every 7 days out injured, the player should've 1 additional day of conditioning after being "cleared" by the medical team. So longer term injuries ensure that they get adequate conditioning without the restriction of injury.

I hope some of that makes sense? As I said, quite broad.
@SJBPhysio_sport